Oct 8, 2005

The huge gorilla question and the discovery channel

October 2005
One of my friends said she is having trouble believing in God anymore. She said that the doubts she usually has floating over her head have become like one of those giant gorillas that car dealerships use to draw people in to sales…all blown up and swaying in the highway wind.
Well, I have been thinking a lot lately about God, and who He is. I started to write a letter back to her and say whatever I could that would let her know that I know where she is coming from and also convey to her why I feel so strongly that God does exist. Maybe it would help her come to a place of rest…let the air out of that stupid gorilla.
Because here is where I am coming from. Mind you, it is not uncomplicated. I am not even sure I understand it, so muddled in my cerebrum it is. Yeah….
I ask that same questions everyone does…if there is this God that Christians say there is, why are things the way they are?



I’m watching the discovery channel right now. There is this guy writing all over a white board with this blue marker. He is scribbling, I recognize pi, and the quadratic equation, or something that looks vaguely high school algebra-ish but harder. And a whole bunch of other numbers and symbols. He’s going crazy; I’m tired just watching him.
You know what he’s doing? Trying to explain all the electricity in lightning.
Yeah. Because all it takes to understand God is a 3’x5’white board and a blue marker.
Oh, and I just saw a commercial that said next week the discovery channel is going to explore Jesus’ miracles. Good luck guys.

Now I love the discovery channel. It proves to me that I am not the only one trying to understand God. Everything on that channel is just people looking at creation and trying to explain it. Now I’m not anti science or anything. Obviously. I took medicine this morning that I need to stay alive. But there is a difference between science and trying to simplify God inspired awe and wonder into numbers on a white board.
Humanity doesn’t understand Him. Be-cause w-e c-a-n’t….
God created man in HiS own image. Not the other way around.

No comments: