Aug 7, 2008

Home is where the hacking birds are...

There are these birds that sound like smokers with emphysema perched in the tree outside my kitchen window. Someone should have warned them when they were younger.
Sunlight and cool morning air streams into the flat and I am smiling, thinking about my first cup of coffee for the day.

God knows I usually think of coffee first, and I think He's okay with it, so I try to fill the spaces of my mind that are unconsumed by café with prayers.

There's still a few boxes unpacked, a few pictures not yet hung and my bed is covered with an eclectic assortment of things I don't have a place for yet.
Even amidst this clutter and settling, friendships, conversation and laughter filled the hours until 3am. Girlfriends curled up on big couch cushions, with iced drinks clinking in glasses and topics ranging through all things we females discuss at these hours.

And, in that, I'm home.

(What is up with those poor birds, can I give them a throat lozenge or something?)

2 comments:

Sarah Siders said...

Ic, you're still funny. Maybe the birds needs some tea with honey. I hear that's good for the throat. Enjoy your vacation. I still haven't gotten those emails (with the forms) yet. Send them when you get a chance. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Do they make mini nicotine patches? I would think that one would need healthy lungs to take flight, thus the need for more avian awareness about the dangers of cigarettes. I keep hearing that the companies keep targeting those that are young--what an atrocity to think that they may becoming hooked while even in the nest!